Thursday, August 11, 2011

Just because it's busy and cheap DOES NOT mean it's good







It's August 10, 2011. The day after I appeared on the Jimmy Kimmel show to promote my new book Yo Cuz! My Life, My Food, My Way and my online cooking show that debuted last month, Yo Cuz The Italian American Cook which can be found on my website www.cafemartorano.com and www.seminolehardrockhollywood.com. With that being said yesterday was a long f*^king day and I figured today would be the best day to cheat. on my diet and my workout and eat whatever I wanted to for a change. So I asked the concierge at the hotel that I'm staying at what is a GREAT and I did say GREAT place to have breakfast and I was referred to a place on Sunset and Crescent Heights called The Griddle Cafe.



Keep in mind in no way am i biased to a place because of its location or the exterior. When I walked in, the place had a cozy vibe. A bar to the right and additional seating to the left. I had a seat and got a menu half the size of the enclyopedia. There was everything from Breakfast to dinner. What was great was that breakfast was served all day. So in full Martorano fashion I ordered a few different things just so I could taste, mostly all of what I ordered was recommended by my server as top sellers.



Ok I ordered alot of food and common sense would tell the server to not bring it all out at once. Shit I was wrong not only did he bring it all out at once but when there was no more room on the table to put another plate he handed it to me.



I ordered the following:



Benedict y Papas - 2 Poached eggs over ham and potato skins topped with a homemade hollanidaise sauce.



The potato skins were undercooked but the eggs and the sauce were ok not good but just ok.



Moms French Toast - Egg cooked bread Griddle cooked to perfection. Mom's old fashioned way.Topped with powdered sugar and whipped butter.



The french toast has to be one of Mom's best. It was good. The toast was griddle cooked to perfection and the whipped butter brought everything together perfectly.



Ham and Cheese Omlette - It explains its self



When I say the quality of the ham was as close to plastic as it could be. TRUST ME as simple as it sounds was horrible.



Sides:

Ham, Bacon, sausage links and french fries







I was not expecting half the pig- It was cold as ice when it came to the table, so was the sausage links and the bacon. Not only was the bacon cold but it almost tasted like paint thinner. The french fries surprisingly was decent.



Lets just say the next time I'm in LA I will not make it my business to go to The Griddle Cafe and I don't suggest anyone looking for a quality meal to either but if you don't give a shit about the quality of what you eat and you just want alot of food for a small amount of money Cuz you've found your place.















1 comment:

  1. I have to say, as a fellow restaurant owner i think you should be ashamed of yourself of bashing another small restaurant. Not everyone "gets the business" or does a great job but we all hustle the best we can. To go and openly post to not visit this small restaurant that probably just doesnt know what they heck they are doing (as most small independants) is really shamefull. We have to stick together! Next time how about writing them a note with some insight into making changes with some of what you have learned...

    ReplyDelete